Tuesday, September 7, 2010

PrayerBits for Wednesday

PrayerBits

A bite sized devotional program
produced by the West Side Presbyterian Church

Scripture Lesson: Psalm 51:1-10 A prayer for cleansing from sin


Time to reflect: The ancient Hebrews believed that sin caused an actual physical pollution that needed to be removed before they could appear before God. Even though that image is foreign to us, it is actually helpful because we tend to intellectualize sin and therefore disarm it making it intangible and of little meaning to us.

Moving through the Day: As you go through the day when you do something you consider wrong, even something as simple as forgetting about God for awhile, picture you having become “dirty” and you need to wash your hands to remove this dirt. How does this affect your view of sin?

Scripture:

 1 Have mercy on me, O God,
       according to your unfailing love;
       according to your great compassion
       blot out my transgressions.

 2 Wash away all my iniquity
       and cleanse me from my sin.

 3 For I know my transgressions,
       and my sin is always before me.

 4 Against you, you only, have I sinned
       and done what is evil in your sight,
       so that you are proved right when you speak
       and justified when you judge.

 5 Surely I was sinful at birth,
       sinful from the time my mother conceived me.

 6 Surely you desire truth in the inner parts [a] ;
       you teach [b] me wisdom in the inmost place.

 7 Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean;
       wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.

 8 Let me hear joy and gladness;
       let the bones you have crushed rejoice.

 9 Hide your face from my sins
       and blot out all my iniquity.

 10 Create in me a pure heart, O God,
       and renew a steadfast spirit within me.



No comments: